How To Sleep Better
Have you found during this tumultuous season of pandemic that you are struggling to maintain a consistent sleep pattern?
I tend to fall asleep easily but wake during the night, I never seem to get a full nights sleep. I want to share with you a few simple tips to help you wind down in the evening and hopefully garner a better nights sleep.
- Set all your devices ( mobile phone, computers, laptops, iPads )to ‘night mode’ or ‘ night light settings’ in the evening, I do mine for around 7pm. This will emit a warm light instead of the blue light also know as HEV – ‘High Energy Visible Light’ which effects sleep in a big way.
- Stay off your phone and keep it downstairs or away from you bedroom. I try to stop looking at my phone from 8pm and I leave it on the dining room table. I have an actual clock by my bed to look at the time.
- Lower your intake of caffeine or ideally opt for caffeine free after 6pm
- Start the process of winding down at least an hour before bed. You could do some relaxing yoga or meditation, read or listen to a podcast.
- If I’ve had a particularly restless night, the next day I like to put all my bedding in the wash so it’s fresh and fluffy again.
- Invest in a pillow spray or diffuser, I find these incredibly soothing and comforting.
- Open the window. There is something so remedying of the cool night air drifting in. I also love the sounds of the night from woodland creatures to a car in the distance. I find subtle sound to have a lulling effect rather than stark silence.
- Try to go to bed and get up at the same time. I go to bed at 10pm and read till 11pm and I usually get up at 6-7am. If I wake at 5am I will just get up.
Your Turn – What are some helpful sleep tips that you find effective?
[…] Focus on getting a good night’s sleep. This takes up roughly one-third of your life while it’s also the time for your mind and body […]